Saturday, July 31, 2010

Garden update and a summer dinner

Hi all! Hope you had a lovely weekend. The weather here has been fantastic...hot, but not that crazy Sacramento heat that we've been known to get in the summers here. Which means, lots of time outdoors. The garden is growing and growing...some things doing great, some not so great...

cucumbers and tomatoes - these seem to be thriving! producing a lot and they're tasty too!

in typical zucchini fashion, these are growing too...sometimes too quickly as can be seen from the extra large zucchini below. oops, guess I didn't get out there fast enough!

Unfortunately though my corn has been infested with ants. No idea this could even be a problem?? But oh yes, it is. Weird thing is they are only on the corn. The zucchini and cucumber are in the same raised bed and are untouched. So on the task list this week is remove the corn. It's just icky.

One of my favorite things to do on a summer evening is go swimming, grill some food and eat dinner outside. Here's our latest outdoor meal. And no, that corn is not from my infested garden. Thank you Trader Joe's. And thank you for the mango pineapple salsa too. Perfect on grilled halibut! Don't you just love Trader Joe's?

And a nice fresh salad to go with....cucumbers and tomatoes from our garden!

Our little man enjoying dinner...almost right....

okay there we go, got the corn eating down!

Happy Monday everyone!

4 comments:

  1. YUM! This made me wish we had a backyard to do some grilling in! I just posted about making chocolate chip cookies...yay food!

    http://silverrosesewing.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-moms-famous-chocolate-chip-cookie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! Always on the lookout for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh veggie salad is the best especially if your veggies are from your garden. I really love veggies and it makes my diet great! You have big tomatoes and I'm a bit jealous of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I can’t wait to have my fresh veggie salad on my dining table. I just hope that I could have a bountiful harvest this coming week. Your corn looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete